Business coaching services
8.6

3 Emotionally Compelling Ways to Connect With Your Clients

Whether you are writing web copy or talking to people at a networking event, here are three tips to help you communicate your marketing message more effectively.
Written Aug 31, 2009, read 5245 times since then.

The first step in any good  marketing plan is to know your ideal client and their emotionally compelling problem.

Whether you are marketing your services as a massage therapist,  a web builder,  or designer, it's important to know how to communicate with potential clients in a way that grabs them at the gut level.

Why is this so important?

When you are able to speak to their emotions they sense that you understand them.  When people they feel like you really get it, they also begin to trust you, and therefore are more ready to move to the next step in the sales process. It’s about building a strong relationship first.

This first part of building empathy cannot be rushed. Here is my empathetic sentence about my target client.

My clients are people who feel stuck, overwhelmed and not sure how to focus on their business. They are stressed from not  having enough cash flow or as many of the kind of clients they want.

You need to come up with a sentence similar to  mine this for your clients. Notice that I never once mentioned my services or any solutions.  I only mentioned their problem, issue and how they feel.

Most small business owners  immediately begin to talk about themselves and their wonderful product or service. You all know what you do and what you can offer. That’s the easy part.  It can be challenging to come up with a couple  of  sentences that really hit the nail on the head as to your client’s problem or issue.

Example. Recently I worked with a marriage counselor. She said her clients were couples who wanted to restore the passion in their relationship. This says what they want but it doesn’t say how they feel and what their real problem is.

She could have said,  “My clients are couples who have become bored with each other, they are arguing a lot, feel unhappy, loss of joy and a lack of passion.”  Ah- that’s emotionally compelling. If I was one of those couples I would say, "Yes, that’s just how I feel."

Before you can develop an  effective marketing plan you have to be able to articulate your client’s emotionally compelling problem. Here are a few tips to help you develop this.

1. Imagine one person who would be your favorite client. If you can’t think of a real person then make one up and give them a name. Picture that person and their life in detail. This person will become your marketing expert.

2. What is troubling this person that would cause them to look for help?  How do they feel?  Come up with a list of 10  feelings they have using feeling words like, anger, sadness, frustration, stress, yearning, low-energy, overwhelmed, in pain, etc.

3. Still thinking of your person, what do they want? How do they want to feel? How do they want their life to be different? How important to them is it to address those issues?

Take all your answers and combine them into a couple sentences. Notice: that this is all about your client and not about you and what you offer.

You can use these sentences for your marketing copy for your website and for sharing about your business at networking groups. This is the  very first part of developing a marketing plan. Once you get this, it is easy to move forward to the next part.

Learn more about the author, Kaya Singer.

• Virtual Assistant
Newberg, Oregon
Marta Goertzen
    Posted by Marta Goertzen, Newberg, Oregon | Aug 31, 2009

Great Article Kaya!

You have presented an interesting way of approaching the subject of defining your target market. Once you have this figured out and what emotional triggers will capture their attention, your marketing efforts become more focused and ultimately more effective.

Thank you for sharing, you have definitely given me some food for thought as I examine my target market and the emotional copy/triggers used in my marketing plan.

Thanks! Marta

• Business coaching services
Kaya Singer
    Posted by Kaya Singer, Portland, Oregon | Sep 01, 2009

Thanks Marta

Glad to know this was helpful to you. If you feel like writing back- share your two sentence description who your clients are. Kaya

• Mediator & Attorney
Elk Grove, California
Nancy Milton
    Posted by Nancy Milton, Elk Grove, California | Sep 01, 2009

Hello Kaya,

I really enjoyed reading your article. It was very helpful. In my business (mediation), it's all about feelings. This gives me another way to approach my marketing message. Thanks again for your insights.

• Business coaching services
Kaya Singer
    Posted by Kaya Singer, Portland, Oregon | Sep 01, 2009

Thanks Nancy

I can imagine that this focus will be easy for you. I hope you'll write back and share your "emotionally compelling message."

• Small Business & Technology Advisor
Battle Ground, Washington
Rusty Lee
    Posted by Rusty Lee, Battle Ground, Washington | Sep 02, 2009

Good Job Kaya!

It's always about them!! I have a tendency to make things more complicated than they really are (maybe because I'm a bit of a geek). But this makes it outright simple and put's the focus on what's really important: "How the client or prospect feels!" It is all about them!!

Have a Great Day, Rusty http://CallMyPcDr.com

• Business coaching services
Kaya Singer
    Posted by Kaya Singer, Portland, Oregon | Sep 02, 2009

Thanks for your comments Rusty

It is simple if you have a system. I'm glad I could help.

• Reiki Master, Natural Healing, Cancer Support, Cancer Coach, Pet Cancer
Rosemary Levesque
    Posted by Rosemary Levesque, Portland, Oregon | Sep 03, 2009

Hi Kaya, It helps me to hear your message again. I have found that the short time I spent with you speaking about this very important concept is changing the way I do business and the way I present myself to others. There's nothing like clarity, right?

• Business coaching services
Kaya Singer
    Posted by Kaya Singer, Portland, Oregon | Sep 03, 2009

Hi Rosemary

I am so glad I have been able to help you. People respond to emotions first and foremost. I appreciate your comments and have enjoyed the time working with you and your group. Thanks again.

• Volunteer Abroad Crowdfunder
PJ Harris
    Posted by PJ Harris, Seattle, Washington | Sep 03, 2009

Thanks Kaya,

This is a wonderful exercise. I believe a large percentage of how you heal is how you feel about how you heal. Wonderful tool for my business.

Thanks to Fuse IQ http://www.fuseiq.com/ for sending me the link for this article.

~PJ Harris

• Business coaching services
Kaya Singer
    Posted by Kaya Singer, Portland, Oregon | Sep 03, 2009

Hi PJ Yes and so true for your type of business. I was at a networking group a couple years ago when I injured my knee and was in huge pain. A woman got up to give her elevator speech and said, " I help people who are in huge or chronic pain, are miserable, frustrated and want the pain to go away." That's all I needed to hear. It didn't matter what her technique was- I was ready to sign up with her because she connected with my exact feelings and I thought, "She gets it!"

• Spiritual psychotherapist and healer
Rachel Whalley, MA, MFA, LMHCA
    Posted by Rachel Whalley, MA, MFA, LMHCA, Seattle, Washington | Sep 05, 2009

Thanks, Kaya!

I already applied your suggestions to my profile description. It was time to freshen it up and I think it's MUCH better!

• Business coaching services
Kaya Singer
    Posted by Kaya Singer, Portland, Oregon | Sep 05, 2009

Rachel just read your profile and you totally got it! Good job and I really connected with it. I know exactly who you work with now. Thanks so much for sharing.

I hope you'll download my free 7 Steps Marketing Plan (see below) as it will show you the next steps as well.

• Hotel Operator, business developer, designer, environmental consultant
Spring Green, Wisconsin
Carolina Dursina
    Posted by Carolina Dursina, Spring Green, Wisconsin | Sep 05, 2009

I definitely enjoy your article; I always love reading your material; you are so clear and to the point in what you write!

I like that!

People coming to my motel are always having high expectations on how you treat them...

(Now, since I am a member for about the last 30 minutes, I can post)

• Business coaching services
Kaya Singer
    Posted by Kaya Singer, Portland, Oregon | Sep 06, 2009

Carolina Thank you so much for your kind words. I am so glad my words are a help to you. I hope I can visit your hotel sometime to experience your wonderful customer service! Kaya

• Life Coach and Spiritual Teacher
Brenda Miller
    Posted by Brenda Miller , Seattle, Washington | Sep 07, 2009

Kaya, the tips in your article have given me a quick and easy way to inform others about the types of clients that I usually work with, their issues, and the results they are likely to achieve through partnering with me. Answering your questions has allowed me to have a smoother flow of conversation regarding my work. Many thanks!

• Career Counselor/Marketing Coach
Vicki Lind
    Posted by Vicki Lind, Portland, Oregon | Sep 14, 2009

Kaya, I'm in a similar biz to yours, in helping people market their business. I sometimes use the fancy marketing phrase "psychgraphics" to ask business owners to reflect on the emotional side of their client's profile. But, I have not been as articulate as this about what do specifically do with this info. Thanks for taking it to the next level. I'll be forwarding this article. Vicki Lind, Career Counselor and Marketing Coach

• Business coaching services
Kaya Singer
    Posted by Kaya Singer, Portland, Oregon | Sep 14, 2009

Vicki

Thanks so much - and especially from you! By the way- I am getting ready to launch a 12 week tele-seminar on the whole 7 step cycle. This is step one and they build on each other. Like many of my processes - I have developed them initially for myself :) Thanks again.

• building designer
Michael Brittell
    Posted by Michael Brittell, Portland, Oregon | Sep 16, 2009

Professor Kaya,

Incredible! You hand this kind of advice out for free?!? Thanks for offering these tips for beginning to develop a credible marketing plan. I will get right on this homework assignment.

So true about the importance of identifying with and speaking to prospective client's emotions through empathy. I believe this is especially true when it is heart-felt and sincere empathy.

Michael Brittell, Building Designer

• Business coaching services
Kaya Singer
    Posted by Kaya Singer, Portland, Oregon | Sep 16, 2009

Michael Thank you so much for your kind words about my article. I do try to give a lot for free. That is #4 on my 7 step marketing circle. If you are interested in learning more about this circle and the way it works I invite you to go this web page: http://www.awakeningbusiness.com/7StepstoanAwesomeMarketingPlan.html

Thanks again. Kaya

• Professional Web Copywriter, Response-Based Creative writer
Monroe, Louisiana
Stephen Monday
    Posted by Stephen Monday, Monroe, Louisiana | Apr 17, 2012

Hi Kara,

After reading your article I was compelled to "give you a 10," so that's what I did.

Whenever someone "considers something" their "focus" is trained on "how can this thing/person, help me?"

Without "thinking" about it - your brain automatically makes a sort of "emotional investment" concerning the "thing/person."

Whether it be positive or negative in your reaction/response to the message "it" projects:

"It"depends on the "projector," like Kayla said: "You have to keep the copy, or presentation "all about" THEM.

This way - they "get" that you "get them," so an automatic wall drops down; and they will connect with you - in a slight personal manner.

When you can keep the copy "all about them" it sounds personable to their ears....

When that emotional response is "nailed" from someone - you can bet they will respond in a personable, positive manner.

Bravo Kara - you "nailed" it. (10 - it is done.)

• Business coaching services
Kaya Singer
    Posted by Kaya Singer, Portland, Oregon | Apr 17, 2012

Thanks Stephen. I am so glad this made sense to you and so appreciate your comments too and your sharing will help others who read this.

• Professional Web Copywriter, Response-Based Creative writer
Monroe, Louisiana
Stephen Monday
    Posted by Stephen Monday, Monroe, Louisiana | Apr 18, 2012

Hi Kaya,

I am so sorry I misspelled your name and called you "Kayla" in my comment! It will be Kaya from now on!

Very Best Regards, and Thanks