8.7

4 creative tips for promoting your Facebook page.

Getting creative about how you promote your business page on Facebook can be fun and help you build relationships, if you know what features to use!
Written Mar 14, 2011, read 4434 times since then.

Facebook recently removed the Suggest To Friends feature from business pages, unless you are an admin for the business page. This means that fans can't suggest business pages they like to their friends. Facebook claims this is being done to cut down on spam invitations, and perhaps it is, but it also makes it harder for businesses to get new fans, without using Facebook ads, which means they need to pay for advertisements. I've never found much value in using ads, just to get fans, so my approach is to get more creative about promoting a business I like to friends (without being spammy or obnoxious about it). Below are some tips you can use to promote your business page and/or promote other people's business pages.

Tip 1: Status updates are your page's friend. Recently I saw a person ask people on his status update to like his page. The text went like this: "Do me a favor. I have a business page (name of business page) It features great content and tips on website development and search engine optimization. If you'd like to learn more about that information, visit my page and click like." He got some fans as a result of doing this. It's important you don't do it too often, because you don't want to annoy your friends or have them report you for spam. If you want to be really kind hearted, you can also do this kind of status update occasionally for other business pages that you like. A third party endorsement of a page is more effective in some ways, because the person doing the endorsement doesn't necessarily have anything to gain for doing so beyond the satisfaction of supporting a business that person likes.

Tip 2: Tagging is a two way street. Tagging is a useful way to promote your business and promote another business at the same time. Use the @ and then the name of the business and post a status update. Your status update will appear on your page and on the other businesses page. The benefit of doing this is that you can both businesses get more fans because fans of each page will be able to go to the other business page and like it. It's important to NOT be spammy. For example, if I post to another business page, I make sure that what I write is about that business. I'll occasionally post a mention of a class to a chamber or networking business page, but beyond that my goal is to mention information or promote the other business when I tag their page. Nonetheless by tagging their page, my page shows up on their wall and there is a chance I'll get more fans as a result.

Tip 3: Sharing is caring about your business page or someone else's. On a given business page, you can find the share link on the left hand column, toward the bottom. When you click it, it will allow you to write something about the business page, and it will include an image of the page and how many people like it. This message will get posted to your wall, but you can also click send a message and choose to send it as a message to specific people. Unless you are an admin for a business page, this share link is the only way to suggest a page to people through a private message as opposed to a status update. It's a useful feature to use, but don't overdo it!  I do recommend using it to send a private message to someone. If you do this, make sure you take time to personalize the message. Tell the person why they might like the page or what it is you've gotten out of it.

Tip 4: Make my page one of your favorites and I'll make your page one of my favorites! On the left hand side of a business page, you can scroll down and opt to add that page to your page's favorites. The benefit of doing this is that the page you have favorited shows up on the left handside of your page. You can ask other pages that you have favorited to the do the same for your page, creating a kind of link exchange if you will. This way your page shows up on the wall of other business pages, and those other businesses also have a presence on your wall. Fans of your page can visit those pages and vice versa. What I really like about this approach is that you can support other local businesses or clients by taking this approach.

These are just four tips for how you can promote your business page on Facebook, but they don't cost you anything and they can help you make an impression on fans for not only your business page, but the business pages of other people. In the process, you can continue to build relationships that will help you grow your business on Facebook and in other mediums.

Learn more about the author, Taylor Ellwood.

• Marketing Assistant/Social Media Coordinator
Gastonia, North Carolina
Annastacia Tooke
    Posted by Annastacia Tooke, Gastonia, North Carolina | Mar 15, 2011

Excellent tips.

• Holistic Business Coach
Taylor Ellwood
    Posted by Taylor Ellwood, Portland, Oregon | Mar 15, 2011

• Online Marketing Strategist
San Francisco, California
Sean Marshall
    Posted by Sean Marshall, San Francisco, California | Mar 16, 2011

Hi Taylor - great points. I really like what you mentioned about third party endorsements. I think that can be very powerful.

I also agree that you shouldn't do too many asks in a status. I always try to give, give, give, and then maybe an ask. Plus, I usually try and share something that's incredibly helpful or perhaps funny every time.

• Holistic Business Coach
Taylor Ellwood
    Posted by Taylor Ellwood, Portland, Oregon | Mar 16, 2011

Hi Sean,

Tanks for commenting! Third party endorsements are powerful, especially when the people are offering them of their own accord, because they believe in you. I also do as much giving as I can.

• Executive Director
Clearwater, Florida
Stan Dubin
    Posted by Stan Dubin, Clearwater, Florida | Mar 17, 2011

I almost skipped over this article and I'm glad I didn't! These are great ideas. The theme of helping out other pages with third party status updates, tagging them in your updates, favoriting them — great stuff, Taylor!

• Holistic Business Coach
Taylor Ellwood
    Posted by Taylor Ellwood, Portland, Oregon | Mar 17, 2011

Hi Stan,

Thanks for commenting. I'm glad you didn't skip it and that you commented! I think it's really important to help other businesses out a bit. They might just return the favor, especially if you show them how.

• Executive Director
Clearwater, Florida
Stan Dubin
    Posted by Stan Dubin, Clearwater, Florida | Mar 17, 2011

Completely agree, Taylor!

• Marketing Assistant/Social Media Coordinator
Gastonia, North Carolina
Annastacia Tooke
    Posted by Annastacia Tooke, Gastonia, North Carolina | Mar 17, 2011

I do like the idea of third party endorsements or reviews. IT has GOT To be better than people tagging you and begging you to LIKE their page because they saw your page listed on some other site.

• Holistic Business Coach
Taylor Ellwood
    Posted by Taylor Ellwood, Portland, Oregon | Mar 17, 2011

I agree Annastacia. Ideally such endorsements should come from a place where people feel comfortable sharing their experiences of working with you. I just shared my tax accountant because they did a great job. No begging on their part...

• Interior Designer & Coach
Kirkland, Washington
Nancy Meadows
    Posted by Nancy Meadows, Kirkland, Washington | Mar 17, 2011

Thanks for the helpful tips. I'm doing my profile now to join Facebook. It's great to have your knowledge going in.

• Video Production
Renton, Washington
Michael Schuett
    Posted by Michael Schuett, Renton, Washington | Mar 17, 2011

Good tips though it seems a couple of them were more geared for pages you like and want to promote than for those with there own business and business page.

One more tip I'd include is get on Twitter and at least 1-2 each month promote your FB page link. And do your best to build your Twitter following by Following others and by offer substantive Tweets regularly.

Michael Schuett http://www.totalbroadcasting.com

• Financial Advisor
Orange, California
Jennifer Fontanilla
    Posted by Jennifer Fontanilla, Orange, California | Mar 18, 2011

I love the details in which you give specific ways to do this. Thank you!

• Holistic Business Coach
Taylor Ellwood
    Posted by Taylor Ellwood, Portland, Oregon | Mar 18, 2011

Hi Nancy and Jennifer,

Glad my article has been helpful for you.

Michael,

You're correct that some of this really involves promoting other people's businesses, but some collaboration on everyone's part can result in mutual success.

• Marketing Assistant/Social Media Coordinator
Gastonia, North Carolina
Annastacia Tooke
    Posted by Annastacia Tooke, Gastonia, North Carolina | Mar 18, 2011

also if you are post raves about someone's page using your page as the profile people will be drawn to your page as well. Or better yet tagging that person's page through your page will increase your visibility too.

• Professional Bookkeeper
Englishtown, New Jersey
Josephine Licata
    Posted by Josephine Licata, Englishtown, New Jersey | Mar 19, 2011

thanks for the tips!

• Public Relations and Online Media
Bellingham, Washington
Silvia Reed
    Posted by Silvia Reed, Bellingham, Washington | Mar 21, 2011

Thank you Taylor. Excellent article. I will defintely implement some of your tips.

• Holistic Business Coach
Taylor Ellwood
    Posted by Taylor Ellwood, Portland, Oregon | Mar 21, 2011

Hi Josephine and Silvia,

Glad the tips were helpful. If you need any help with Facebook, please contact me.

• Operations Mgr. for a exterior home improvement business
Durham, North Carolina
Barry Turner
    Posted by Barry Turner, Durham, North Carolina | Mar 22, 2011

Thanks Taylor...the tips were very helpful! I've already put them to good use.

• Professional Musician & Instructor
Kansas City, Missouri
Emily Elliott
    Posted by Emily Elliott, Kansas City, Missouri | Mar 22, 2011

Great ideas! I have tried a couple of them over the past week and now just waiting for results. I especially like the first one about asking for a favor. I have wanted to do something like that but wasn't sure quite how to word it. Keep the tips coming!

• Holistic Business Coach
Taylor Ellwood
    Posted by Taylor Ellwood, Portland, Oregon | Mar 22, 2011

Hi Emily,

Happy to help out. Let me know how it turns out!

Taylor

• Entrepreneur coach
Devon, Pennsylvania
Penny Zenker
    Posted by Penny Zenker, Devon, Pennsylvania | May 12, 2011

Thank you for sharing this was very helpful!