Donna Gunter
Internet Marketing Strategist & Online Business Coach
Orange, Texas
Extraordinarily helpful
9.0

Video Marketing: How Introverts Can Get More Clients Online with Screencast Videos

Introverts typically don't like to star in or view online video. So, then, how could an introvert take advantage of online video marketing? By turning articles into screencast videos.
Written May 25, 2010, read 3312 times since then.

Even though videos are one of the hottest Internet marketing strategies today, I have been very slow to jump on the video marketing bandwagon.  Why?  Because making a talking head video of myself is about as enticing as dipping my body in honey and watching the flies swarm over me.  I've never liked being on camera nor having my picture taken (case in point the hundreds of family reunion pictures I've taken over the years as the family photographer, with nary a picture of me in sight!), and so I've avoided creating marketing videos until recently. However, despite my dislike of video (I'm not a big fan of viewing video either -- I'd rather read the info), I realize that most people would rather watch video to learn than read about something to learn as I do.

I knew that there had to be a way to maximize video marketing that wouldn't send me into apoplexy, and I realized that I had the solution right at my fingertips -- turn my articles into screencast videos!  Screencasts typically refer to using a screen capture video software, like Camtasia, to follow your movements as you go from screen-to-screen on your computer.  Screencasts are most commonly used for online video tutorials.  However, I've discovered a way to create a simple screencast from my articles.

Here are 8 steps to create a screencast video that is perfect for introverted marketers:

1.  Pick an article.  The best type of article for a screencast is one that has numbered points in it.  If you have an introduction, 3-5 numbered points with a few details accompanying each point, and a conclusion, you have enough material for a screencast video.

2.  Find a PowerPoint template.  Simply search for "free PowerPoint templates," "free PowerPoint themes," or "free PowerPoint backgrounds" to locate no-cost presentation backgrounds you can use.  Or, you can use one of the preset templates in PowerPoint. Remember, the simpler, the better is the key here.  You don't want the viewer to be distracted by bright colors or a complex background.  Sure, it's boring, but you want the viewer to pay attention to your presentation, not your PowerPoint background.

3.  Determine your call to action.  Your video should ALWAYS have a call to action.  I make my call to action abundantly clear by placing the domain URL of the site I want to the viewer to visit at the bottom of each of the slides of my presentation.  Then, the last slide of my presentation contains a graphic representing my call to action, along with an invitation to visit the noted website for my free giveaway.  I use screencast videos as a list-building strategy.

4.  Create your presentation.  Shorter is better here.  Your video should run 3 - 5 minutes, which means that on average, your presentation will have 12-18 slides.

5.  Animate the presentation. Once you have created the presentation, you'll want to animate it to keep the viewer's attention.  Have your bullet points fly in from the sides, or your text twirl around before landing upright. Don't go nuts here -- just add enough animation so that the viewer's eyes don't glaze over from boredom.

6.  Record the audio.  Now, you'll need to record yourself reading your article. Before starting the recording, create a quick intro that contains some basic info about you and your business, and at the end, be sure and give your viewer your call to action.

7.  Combine the audio and presentation into a video. If you use Camtasia, you can combine your audio and presentation into a video when you record the audio portion.  However, if you don't own screencast software, you can have the audio and presentation combined into a video by a freelance video editor for $25-$50.

8.  Submit the video.  There are hundreds of video submission sites out there, and you'll want to get your new video on as many of them as possible.

Now, even introverted marketers can take advantage of the opportunities offered by online video marketing.  Screencast instructional videos will help introverted business owners leverage their expertise and get found online.

Learn more about the author, Donna Gunter.

• Sales Coach, Success Coach, Business Coach
Tshombe Brown
    Posted by Tshombe Brown, Portland, Oregon | May 25, 2010

This is such a helpful article, Donna!  Thank you!

(I think you should repurpose it here on your Biznik Profile page as a screencast! :-)

I'm thinking SlideShare might be another way to do this.......

What's the Word on Slideshare?  Has anyone used it?

• Marketing Consultant
Nanuet, New York
Julie Weishaar
    Posted by Julie Weishaar, Nanuet, New York | May 25, 2010

Hey Donna,

You stole my thunder LOL. That is exactly what I do for myself and now for clients :). And I started doing it for the exact same reasons you state above. Wasn't too thrilled with the idea of making a video of myself.

Another option to recording your voice is to use a musical background that is catchy and let the viewers read the text as it bounces and flies in. You will want to keep the text per slide as short as possible to make is easy to read. If you do use music, be careful to NOT use music that is copyrighted. Go for music in the creative commons category but be sure to check the conditions before using the music. Same for images. Be sure you have the rights to use an image before using one. I have heard of a case (not me thank goodness) where someone was fined a lot of $$ for using an image that he didn't have the copyright to.

You can check out my video on my profile and Doug Rector's, another Biznik member (http://biznik.com/members/douglas-rector) who has one of these videos on his profile.

BTW - it is not quite as easy as it sounds. It does take time to create a compelling and attractive video with images that are representative of the content. I like to use humor in my videos but it is a matter of personal preference and specific industry. Witty just doesn't work in some industries!

If anyone would like help creating a video - you know where to find me :)

• Software Consultant
HK China
Adward Chan
    Posted by Adward Chan, HK China | May 26, 2010

Mmm.. This is exactly what I'm doing now. Video marketing is a feast for all online marketing individuals and companies. And it gives another life to the existing articles. I call it "the reuse of text information". Screen recorder plus PowerPoint are really powerful video authoring combination tools for online service and marketing.

I wrote one article about the advantages of video marketing to encourage people to make full use of it. And your guide is the best explanation to all of them.

• Bankruptcy Attorney
San Francisco, California
Jeena Cho
    Posted by Jeena Cho, San Francisco, California | May 27, 2010

Can you post some URLs as examples?

• Trainer/ Consultant
Atlanta, Georgia
Dr. Lepora Manigault, SPHR, PMP, SSBB
    Posted by Dr. Lepora Manigault, SPHR,..., Atlanta, Georgia | May 27, 2010

Hi Donna-

I love this idea! This is a great way to get a peak of your content out there. To the guy who mentioned slideshare. I think that its great also. Though I don't think that it converts over to the major video websites- e.g.., youtube- where you'll get the most traffic.

Thanks for the article!

• Fashion Designer
Victoria, British Columbia Canada
Linda Ferguson
    Posted by Linda Ferguson, Victoria, British Columbia Canada | May 27, 2010

Donna,

Thank you such good advice! We all need to keep on top of making sure that our 'Brand' is out there and that is definitely an excellent option. I look forward to your next suggestion.

• Internet Video Specialist
Union City, New Jersey
Glenn Zimmerman
    Posted by Glenn Zimmerman, Union City, New Jersey | May 27, 2010

Hi Donna,

What a nicely written and well thought out article. You've definitely hit a nerve with a lot of people!

What we have found for people who don't want to "star" in the video, is to focus on a product, service, or perhaps best of all someone who has experienced what the company provides first hand (i.e. a testimonial).

That way we can shape the story around people, without making anyone who doesn't want to go on camera uncomfortable.

best,

Glenn

• Internet Marketing Strategist & Online Business Coach
Orange, Texas
Donna Gunter
    Posted by Donna Gunter, Orange, Texas | Jun 03, 2010

@Tshombe Brown -- Thanks for the slidecast suggestion. I create PPTs of all of my articles and add them to Slideshare. When I share the slidecasts over social media, I find that I get a great response to them.

@Julie -- Thanks for sharing your expertise! :)

@Adward -- Thanks! Great minds think alike!

Warmly,

Donna

• Sales Coach, Success Coach, Business Coach
Tshombe Brown
    Posted by Tshombe Brown, Portland, Oregon | Jun 04, 2010

That's great Donna! How would I find those? Do a search for "Donna Gunter Slidecast"? That's probably a "duh," so I'll just go do that!

(It looks like synchronizing the slides and audio may be a trick, though, on Slideshare).

• Digital Growth Strategist
Lynnwood, Washington
Maximus Kang
    Posted by Maximus Kang, Lynnwood, Washington | Jun 06, 2010

Very simple and to the point. Wonderfully-written article Donna!

• Video Production
Renton, Washington
Michael Schuett
    Posted by Michael Schuett, Renton, Washington | Jun 07, 2010

Donna,

Great article, well written, but in my view dangerous. OK...my confession is that my point of view is self-serving. Nonetheless, the readers can judge whether its valid. Your article advocates do-it-yourself videos. And do-it-yourself videos look and sound like do-it-yourself videos. Which is to say, they are sub-par. Many, if not most, of Biznik members and readers of this article are entrepreneurs who are generally inclined toward do-it-yourself work. Do-it-yourselfers...like me...are often hurt by this mentality. rather than rely on and spend money on those with more knowledge and skill they attempt to do things themselves. No matter the task even if they can manage some sense of quality (which is rare) their time and energy is taken from that which is most important, the skill, service, or knowledge that led them into business to begin with. That time is best served when devoted to that which makes them the most money (in a business sense). Do it yourself videos and the audio that goes with them are sub-par just like do-it-yourself websites are sub-par. Take the time and money to hire a professional to make the videos you need. Professional video production of one kind or another is increasingly affordable and a good investment.

Michael Schuett

www.totalbroadcasting.com

• Photo Retoucher
Evanston, Illinois
Eric Basir
    Posted by Eric Basir, Evanston, Illinois | Jun 08, 2010

Donna, which sites do you recommend for submitting video articles? Youtube? Anything else?

• CPA, Accountant
Irvine, California
Shaun Lawrence
    Posted by Shaun Lawrence, Irvine, California | Jun 12, 2010

With all the competition online I have thought of creating a video, but then I wonder if they really want to see my face or it that would help at all. This could be an alternative. Thanks for your articles.

• Internet Marketing Strategist & Online Business Coach
Orange, Texas
Donna Gunter
    Posted by Donna Gunter, Orange, Texas | Jun 18, 2010

@Eric -- I use a free service called TubeMogul.com to submit videos to the major sites. There's a fee-based service, TrafficGeyser.com if you want to get really serious about video submission. :)

• Photo Retoucher
Evanston, Illinois
Eric Basir
    Posted by Eric Basir, Evanston, Illinois | Jun 18, 2010

Thanks Donna. Amazing. I'll try the free one first (smile)