I consult and lecture on the topic of ebooks. I've selling them since 1996, with over $1M in lifetime sales online.
Did you know that every time you write an ebook you create a new business?
If you write an ebook about a topic that people love, people will often pay $1500 to $5000 for the rights to the sell that ebook. That means you can write an ebook today and sell it tomorrow for a handsome price!
Ebooks are mainly sold on the web, so if you are web savvy you'll write an ebook about something that there are thousands, even millions of web searches about.
For instance, the word "Autism" gets 4 million searches a month online. Someone would be very happy to pay for an ebook that talks about Autism. By contrast, the phrase "flower garlands," which refers to a craft of weaving flowers together, usually for weddings, has 5,400 searches a month online. it pays to know how many searches a topic is getting before you write an ebook. You can use different keyword tools online to find out which topics are getting many searches and worth writing about. Topics with over 100K searches a month are usually the best for writing and selling your ebook.
It can be a happy thing when you find someone that wants to buy your ebook site--I just sold a small ebook and matching website to somebody in Belgium. I've also have bought the rights to sell an ebook from another writers. Both of these transactions were way cool--profitable and cutting edge!
What are examples buying and selling ebooks successfully?
- Write an ebook that people need, then sell it - I wrote a book called "Improve Your Credit Score in 24 Hours." It sold for 7 years, mostly by search engine advertising. When sales tapered I sold the book and site to somebody for about $3700, the price of 12 months or so of monthly income. The phrase 'credit score' generates over 500K monthly searches on Google, so the ebook is something that you can say "people need" -- the topic was desirable and I found a buyer for the ebook.
- Buy the rights to an ebook - I helped a friend to write an ebook about "probate real estate." It was a great topic, since workshops on probate real estate can cost $900 and up. His book was only $29.95. I proposed to him that we could both sell his book separately, and I would pay him $3500 for the right to do that, plus he keeps all the rights to his book. We both made money--I made my money back and even doubled it in 6 months, plus the book kept right on selling. Write an ebook and you can "sell"the rights for others to sell it.
- Rent an ebook - I've even heard of businesspeople that get a monthly income from a marketer that sells their ebook for while. Somebody pays something like $1500 a month to you while they market your book through their channels. Nice passive income!
Where do you find people to buy and sell ebooks?
It is easy. You can sell your ebook (usually with a website to match) on these sites:
- Flippa.com - Flippa is the number one website devoted to buying and selling websites. Though they don't want to deal with copyrights and claims, you can still sell a website devoted to selling an ebook.
- Ebay.com - you can easily sell ebook websites on eBay as well, especially if the sale is less than $5,000.
- Websitesforsale.com - this is a busy site with a whole category for ebook websites that are for sale.
More people are writing and marketing ebooks these days, but it is a well kept secret that you can buy and sell ebooks.