The Better Business Bureau has issued an urgent SCAM alert cautioning businesses and consumers about a phishing email. Businesses in the Seattle area have reported receiving this email.
The phishing scam subject line reads “BBB complaint processing” with a return email addresses that BBB does not use (example service @ bbb.org). The email uses the BBB logo and is signed with the address of the Council of Better Business Bureaus.
The email has a link containing viruses and malware that could damage your computers, steal information from your computer, and place identities at risk. Do NOT click on the link inside the email if received.
To view a sample of the email, see the link below: http://www.integrit-network.com/emailblast/BBB_Phishing_Email_Scam.jpg
The e-mail is fraudulent; ignore its contents and delete it immediately.
If you receive an email claiming your business has a complaint filed against it with BBB, there are several things you can do to authenticate it:
- Look for typos, grammatical errors, etc. in the text that could indicate it originated overseas.
- Check the sender’s address. Complaints go out from the local BBBs, not from the headquarters office.
- Hover your mouse over the link to see if its destination is really a bbb.org address.
- Copy and paste the link into Notepad (not Word). Notepad does not support html, so if the link is a fake bbb.org address, the real link will show up.
If you confirm the email to be a phishing scam, follow these instructions ASAP
- DO NOT click on the link or reply to the email.
- Forward the fake BBB email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mark it as “Spam” and delete the email
IMPORTANT: if you or a staff member clicked on the link inside the email:
- Run a virus scan on ALL computers connected to your network.
- If you need assistance, please get in contact with your local IT Consultant.
Due to the virulent nature of the virus, we cannot stress enough how important it is to follow the steps above if anyone on your staff has received this email and clicked on the link.